Summer is the time for cookouts, fresh flavors, and all things BBQ. Today I’m sharing a recipe for lightened-up cauliflower rice bowls filled with fresh veggies and healthy fats. These bowls can be made with either tofu or chicken. And thanks to the BBQ marinade, this dish is bursting with flavor!
BBQ Cauliflower Rice Bowl Recipe
Photos by the amazing Ashley Nicole
- 16 oz frozen grilled chicken strips or 1 package extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 lb cauliflower rice
- 12 oz diced butternut squash
- 1 large sweet onion, medium diced
- 1 avocado, medium diced
- 1/2 C Head Country Original Bar-B-Q Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Barbecue Chicken Directions
- Defrost (but do not fully heat) the chicken strips
- In a small bowl toss the chicken strips with a quarter cup of Head Country Original Bar-B-Q Sauce.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for one hour to marinate.
- In a small pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the marinated chicken and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, or until caramelized and heated through.
- Set aside until the cauliflower rice is ready.
Barbecue Tofu Directions
- Slice the tofu in half lengthwise, then cut each half into into four pieces.
- Place the tofu slices in a medium bowl and toss with a quarter cup of Head Country Original Bar-B-Q Sauce.
- Cover the bowl and allow the tofu to marinate for at least one hour.
- Set aside until the cauliflower rice is ready.
Cauliflower Rice Bowl Directions
- In a large, high-sided saucepan, saute the onion and garlic with one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat for approximately five minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the butternut squash and saute, stirring occasionally, for approximately 15 minutes, until the squash has softened.
- Add the cauliflower rice and the remaining quarter cup of Head Country Original Bar-B-Q Sauce, and stir until evenly combined.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately ten minutes, or until the rice has softened.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the avocado.
- Divide into four bowls and top with the barbecue chicken or tofu, drizzling extra BBQ sauce if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
These bowls are so flavorful and amazingly are less than 500 calories! Subbing out cauliflower rice for regular rice saved 418 calories per serving. (Which is crazy when you think that that is almost the total calories in the finished dish for just one ingredient!) I promise cauliflower rice tastes just as good! In fact, now that I know how good it tastes and how much better it is for you, I’m having a hard time going back to regular rice. I buy our pre-riced cauliflower at the store which saves so much time and effort.
The secret to these bowls being so flavorful is all in the BBQ sauce. Head Country Bar-B-Q is freaking delicious. They sell sauces, marinades, and seasonings with a flavor for every occasion.
Why I love them so much is for the depth of flavor their products offer, and that crucial balance of sweet to savory that they’ve perfected.
I’m not the only one that thinks so as they’ve been around since 1945 and are the 9th largest BBQ sauce brand in the country. With their national distribution, you should be able to easily find them at a store near you! Or you can order online directly from their website. (#convenience) Either way, you can’t go wrong with Head Country Bar-B-Q!
These BBQ bowls are perfect for parties, family dinners, or even just solo meals on the couch watching Bravo. (Just me?) They’re a fresh and fun dish to serve!
Questions of the Day: Are you a fan of BBQ? Have you tried Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauce? What are your thoughts on cauliflower rice?
Thanks to Head Country Bar-B-Q for sponsoring this post! The thoughts and opinions expressed on Her Heartland Soul are always my own.
I’ve been all about BBQ flavors lately and definitely need to try the chicken version. Looks delish!
I haven’t eat cauliflower for so long and its one of my favourite vegetables! This recipe sound amazing! I might have to try it for dinner tonight! Sounds like a great combination with rice chicken and bbq sauce!
I hadn’t thought about adding BBQ flavors to cauliflower rice — interesting! Looks delicious. 🙂
Victoria Pease says
I love tofu, and while I’m not a vegan or vegetarian, I think the tofu strip version might be my favourite!
Stephanie S says
I have been dying to try a cauliflower recipe.. This looks like such a yummy first cauliflower dish to try! Pinning this to save forever <3
Steph Niziolek says
I’ve always wanted to try a good cauliflower recipe. Definitely need to give a few of these a go and see if I can add a new item to the menu!
This is genius, I have been looking for a way to spice up my lunch bowls – thanks for the recipe!
Yum! Can’t wait to try this one. Looks so tasty!
This recipe sounds amazing!! I def want to try it out!
Sarah @ Bucket List Tummy says
This sounds delicious! I’m crazy about BBQ flavor, and would love either version!
Atim at EffiFit says
Oooh, yum! I’m going to have to make this!
Just pinned this! Great healthy meal!
Stephanie de Montigny says
Cauliflower Rice is a staple in my ketogenic lifestyle, and while I cannot have the run-of-the-mill barbecue sauce, I very much look forward to adapting this recipe to my needs. Yumm!
Jamie King says
this looks SO good, thank you for the recipe inspiration! YUM!
I am totally sharing this recipe with my amazing hubby! This looks SO yummy!
Kassy Randazzo says
I’ve been experimenting with cauliflower as a rice and a bread! I’m loving it so far!
Taylor Aube says
OMG yum! I always have a hard time incorporating tofu into my diet, but this post makes it look so easy!
Ashley Zeal says
I will definitely be trying this! YUM!
This looks so delicious! I love BBQ flavors and who doesn’t love cauliflower!
Anna English says
While I’m not a big fan of cauliflower, my boyfriend would love this!
Kimberly Smith says
This looks so delicious & I think with a few small tweaks, I can make this work with my dietary restrictions – will definitely give it a try!
Yummy! Looks great!
Wow, this sounds absolutely delicious!
This looks so yummy!!
Tania Cascilla says
This looks so delish, thanks for sharing!
Jenna Colgrove says
this looks so yummy!!
These recipes sound so good!
Ashley DTKAustin says
This looks delicious!! I need to try and make this during the week!
This sounds so delicious! I’ll have to give this recipe a try!
Oddly enough, I’ve never had cauliflower before, but I definitely want to give it a try!
This looks so delicious! I am going to have to try this this weekend! XO
Wow! That looks amazing!! I definitely have to make this dish!!
This recipe looks amazing!! Must try!!
Oh my god this looks SO delicious!!
ashley houston says
I love cauliflower rice!It’s so yummy and delicious